GRID-Arendal and Blue Climate Solutions today unveiled the redesigned ‘Blue Carbon Portal’, the world’s premier comprehensive community-based website for all matters related to blue carbon. Blue carbon is a concept that advances the sustainable management of coastal marine ecosystems that store and sequester atmospheric carbon, thereby helping to mitigate climate change.
Blue carbon ecosystems include mangrove forests, seagrass meadows, and saltwater marshes also important for the vital ecosystem services they provide, such as coastal fisheries, shoreline protection, related eco-tourism and the conservation of marine biodiversity.
Features of the Blue Carbon Portal include:
- The Blue Carbon Blog and social media connectivity (e.g., Twitter Feed);
- A geospatial map utility depicting global blue carbon projects and initiatives;
- A resources page for all blue carbon publications, presentations and videos;
- A calendar of blue carbon events; and
- A directory of blue carbon initiatives.